Rules & Regulations
All tournament games will be played in accordance with the laws of the game as issued by F.I.F.A. except where modified below.
A copy of the team’s certified roster will be emailed in prior to the tournament starting, the coaches should have a copy of this roster with them during the tournament. Each team will be limited to the players, coaches and managers whose names are reflected on that roster. In the event that a player is added to the roster after the first game or if an ineligible player participates in any game, that team will automatically forfeit all games in which such player(s) played. Up to four (4) guest players per team are permitted, provided that they are identified at registration and meet all other qualifications. No player will be allowed on more than one team roster or to play on more than one team in this tournament.
*GUEST PLAYERS: Four (4) guest players are allowed. They must have a valid travel player pass or a special tournament pass issued by your league office and be listed on the certified roster.
Rosters and Team Medical Release forms will be checked via electronic registration and must be available for Field Marshall inspection fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of each game.
3. INSURANCE FORMS
One copy of the “Fairfield FAST” tournament Team Medical Release Form must be emailed to the tournament registration. A copy of the Medical Release Form must be carried with the Coach or Manager at all times during the tournament.
(Club forms will not be accepted)
**This tournament requires a certificate of insurance from any NON US Youth Affiliate team, evidencing liability and player medical coverage. The minimum liability limits must equal or exceed $1,000,000 and the minimum excess player medical limits must equal or exceed $25,000. This only applies to NON Us Youth Soccer Affiliated teams.
4. PERMISSION TO TRAVEL FORMS
Teams from outside Region 1 and New Jersey must have an authorized copy of the USYSA Permission to Travel Form at registration.
5.FIELD AND GAME EQUIPMENT
- NO Jewelry will be allowed (no exceptions).
- Players are REQUIRED to wear shin guards.
- Players must wear numbers on the back of their uniforms and these numbers shall coincide with those listed on the team’s Official Stated Roster.
- Where uniforms are similar in color, the designated HOME TEAM will change colors. The Home Team will be listed first on the schedule.
- Both teams will take the same side of the field. All supporters/parents/fans will take the opposite side of the field.
- No one is allowed behind either end-line.
- All teams and players must check in 15 minutes prior to the scheduled kick-off if requested by the Field Marshal or Referee.
6. INCLEMENT WEATHER
Regardless of weather conditions, Coaches and Teams MUST appear on the field of play and be ready as scheduled. Failure to appear will result in a forfeiture of the game. Only the Referee, Field Marshall and/or the Tournament Director can cancel, postpone, relocate or reschedule a game. In the event of lightning, at the direction of the referee, all players must stop playing the game and exit the playing field and seek shelter. At the conclusion of 20 continuous minutes without additional lightning, the Referee/Field Marshall and Tournament Directors will make an informed decision as to whether to resume play or not. If the decision is to not to resume play for what ever reason (such as the field conditions or the pending weather forecast), the team managers and coaches will be informed of this decision and the below rules will apply:
- Inclement weather before games: In case of severe weather conditions before play has begun, the result of the game will be a 1-1 tie if the game can not be rescheduled as determined by the Tournament Director.
- Inclement weather during games: Should a game’s progress be terminated due to the weather conditions after the end of the first half of the game, the game will be considered official and the score at that time will stand. Should the game’s progress be terminated before the end of the first half, the result of the game will be a 1-1 tie.
- If there is any doubt or is any question regarding the weather policy, please see the Field Marshall for the official ruling as determined by the Tournament Directors.
Should inclement weather force the cancellation of either day of the tournament, the FAST Tournament Director will inform teams of that decision via the FAST website home page and via email by 6:00 AM of the affected day. If the full day is cancelled, teams will be refunded their entry fees less a $50 administrative fee per team.
7. AGE GROUP, BALL SIZE, NUMBER OF PLAYERS, GAME DURATION:
(Minimum number of games: 3 or 4 games-depending on number of teams registered for this tournament)
- U9 Size-4 Ball 7v7 Two 20-Minute Halves
- U10 Size-4 Ball 7v7 Two 20-Minute Halves
- U11 Size-4 Ball 9v9 Two 20-Minute Halves
- U12 Size-4 Ball 9v9 Two 20-Minute Halves
- U13 Size-5 Ball 11v11 Two 20-Minute Halves
- U14/15 Size-5 Ball 11v11 Two 20-Minute Halves
8. NUMBER OF PLAYERS
- Each U9 to U10 team can be composed of a maximum of twelve (12) players.
- Each U11 to U12 team can be composed of a maximum of sixteen (16) players.
- Each U13 to U14/15 team can be composed of a maximum of twenty-one (21) players.
REMINDER: There will be NO Double Rostered Players allowed.
Any team that is not ready to play within ten (10) minutes of the scheduled starting time for its match shall forfeit the game to its opponent by a score of 1-0. A minimum of six (6) players constitutes a team for U9-U10 (7v7 games), a minimum of eight (8) players constitutes a team for U11-U12 (9v9 games), and a minimum of ten (10) players constitutes a team for U13-U14/15 (11v11 games).
10. SCORE SHEETS
Both Coaches are responsible for verifying the score by signing the Referee/Field Marshall score sheet at the conclusion of each match. Failure to do so will negate any grounds for contesting an incorrectly posted score.
Substitutions shall be unlimited, but may only be made with the referee’s permission at the following times:
- Prior to any throw-in by either team.
- Prior to any goal kick by either team.
- Prior to a corner kick by either team.
- After a goal has been scored.
- When play has been stopped by the referee because of injury. (Both teams are allowed unlimited substitutions in this situation)
- After half time.
12. RED CARDS* (& Yellow Cards)
Any player, Coach or Manager receiving a RED CARD or Two YELLOW CARDS in the same game shall be suspended for the remainder of the game and for the next (1) game their team is scheduled to play.
- A Red Card issued to a Coach or Player will also result in the deduction of one (1) point per red card in that teams point standings. (U11-U14/15)
- Two Yellow Cards issued to a Coach or Player in the same game will be treated the same as a Red Card and will also result in the same deduction of one (1) point per red card equivalent in that teams point standings. (U11-U14/15)
Certified referees and line-persons are provided by the tournament. Each team is required to provide a line-person if the official line-persons are not available due to extenuating circumstances.
14. TOURNAMENT STANDINGS (U11-U14/15)
Win = 3 points
Tie = 1 point
Loss = 0 points
TIE-BREAKERS: In the event of a tie in points, the following rules will be used, in order presented to break the tie:
- Head-to-Head competition (not applicable if more than two teams are tied)
- Total Goal Differential (Maximum of 3 goals per game). If still tied then:
- Least goals allowed in all games. If still tied then:
- Most shut-outs. If still tied then:
- Most Goals scored (Maximum of 3 goals per game). If still tied then:
- Penalty kicks. (F.I.F.A. Rules apply).
Protests will NOT BE ACCEPTED and CANNOT be lodged.
The 6-Second rule will apply. There will be no charging of the goalie allowed.
17. BUILD-OUT LINE FOR U9 AND U10
In keeping with US Youth Soccer and CJSA policies, all U9 and U10 games will make use of a build-out line.
- When the goalkeeper has the ball in his or her hands during play from the opponent, the opposing team must move behind the build out line until the ball is put into play
- Once the opposing team is behind the build out line, the goalkeeper can pass, throw or roll the ball into play (punts and drop kicks are not allowed)
- After the ball is put into play by the goalkeeper, the opposing team can cross the build out line and play resumes as normal.
- The opposing team must also move behind the build out line during a goal kick until the ball is put into play
18. HEADING RESTRICTIONS
FAST will follow CJSA restrictions on heading the ball during competition:
- No player on a U11 team or a combined team including the U11 age group (e.g. U11/12) may head the ball deliberately.
- In the event of a deliberate heading, the opposing team will be awarded an indirect free kick.
19. PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
FAST will follow CJSA birth year guidelines that took effect in Fall 2017. All players must be born on or after the birth date for their age group classification noted below. No player is allowed to be a member of more than one team or play for more than one team entered in the tournament or transfer from one team to another during the tournament. All players and their teams in which they are registered must be properly registered with their state or national soccer association.
- U9 = 1/1/10
- U10 = 1/1/09
- U11 = 1/1/08
- U12 = 1/1/07
- U13 = 1/1/06
- U14/U15 = 1/1/04
20. MERCY RULE
No team shall win any game by more than 6 goals! Our tournament goal is a fun and competitive experience for all involved. In the event that a team is leading a game by 6 goals the Tournament Directors ask the Coaches/Managers/Teams to refrain from scoring any additional goals.
21. GENERAL RULES
All decisions by the Referee are final and binding.
The Tournament Committee, the Tournament Directors, Fairfield United Soccer Association (FUSA) and the Connecticut Junior Soccer Association (CJSA) will NOT be responsible for any expenses incurred by any team or club if the tournament is canceled in whole or in part.
First Place/ Champions and Second Place/Runner-Up awards will be presented to ALL teams U-11 through U14/15 in each division, and participation awards will be awarded to ALL U-9 & U10 teams.
Each team upon checking in at registration must provide a name and phone number of a designated person to be contacted if the need arises during the tournament.
Coaches, Managers and Team Officials are not allowed on the field without the referee’s permission. Any Coach, Manager or Team Official violating this rule is subject to disciplinary action by the referee and/or the Tournament Director.
This tournament has been organized to promote healthy competition between players of the game of soccer. It is hopeful that all participants including players, coaches and fans will be supportive in a positive fashion.
The Tournament Director reserves the right to disqualify any Team, Player, Coach, Manager or Team Official from the tournament for gross misconduct of its Coaches, Players, Managers, Team Officials, Parents or Fans.
Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages and Smoking are prohibited on all fields and all parking areas at all time.
There are NO DOGS allowed on any fields, sidelines or parking lots at anytime during this tournament.
The Connecticut Junior Soccer Association (CJSA) shall have the responsibility for imposing, should circumstances warrant, additional penalties within their jurisdiction with regard to any matter arising from the tournament or games.